MENU

PGC Newsletter 23.03.2020

Under Alert Level 2 we will resume golf at Pahiatua from Thursday 21st May including the Bar.

1.     ALL visitors to Pahiatua Golf Club must sign the contract tracing book on the shelf by the green fee slot. Preferably using your own pen.

2.     There is hand sanitiser available at the sign in book and cart shed, please use.

3.     Please wash your hands before and after play.

Notices for how we need to conduct ourselves both on the course and in the clubhouse are posted at the clubhouse and on Facebook.

Thank you for your co-operation. Please respect that we are doing all we can to keep our golfing community safe.

CORONAVIRUS – COVID-19 CRISIS UPDATE

Today the Government announced that New Zealand is now at Level 3 restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and moving to level 4 in 48 hours. We had already decided that there was to be no more club golf for the next few weeks with the ladies’ canning their golf until at least after Easter. When the current situation improves we will notify you when we can get back to normal - or our new normal. In the meantime, we hope you stay safe and look after each other through the coming days and weeks.

Marquis Shield player tested positive for coronavirus

You may have heard that a member of a team at the Marquis Shield here on Sunday 15th March has since tested positive for coronavirus. He was not unwell when he was here but it is possible that he was infectious at this time.  Anyone who attended that day is considered a “Casual Contact” of a person with Covid-19 and is at low risk of getting infected. An information sheet has been sent to anyone who attended (from our club) including those who were doing catering, the bar or helping with the golf. If anyone has any concerns for themselves or family members the advice is to please phone the Helpline 0800 358 5453.

From Dean Murphy NZ Golf Chief Executive

“Following the Prime Ministers announcement that we are currently at Alert Level 3 and preparing to move to Alert Level 4 on Wednesday, we have been urgently reviewing what this now means for the golf sector.

What is clear is that all clubhouses, pro shops, bar, function and catering facilities must now close for four weeks from Wednesday of this week.

We understand there are many other questions to be answered and to assist, we are working with Sport NZ and the government to seek urgent and critical advice on two matters:

  1. Golf Course Activity

The government advice today is that walking, exercising and enjoying nature is permissible at Alert Level 4, providing that all hygiene practices and 2 metre distancing is maintained. The question we have asked is ‘Does this mean people can play golf as long as they follow the guidelines?

  1. Golf Course Maintenance

We are seeking to understand whether golf courses can maintain skeleton staff/volunteers to maintain their facilities, even at a basic level, during the next four weeks provided they work as individuals, follow all hygiene practices and maintain 2 metre distancing. We understand the consequences of not maintaining golf facilities for four weeks are enormous so we are seeking urgent advice on this matter.

 

Clearly this is an unprecedented time for the country and our government agencies have many matters to manage. We have asked for advice as soon as possible and will in turn immediately share this with the sector once received.


I will try to answer all specific queries as soon as possible however note we have received over a hundred queries this afternoon alone and it may be a few hours before we can get back to all messages.

Further advice to be shared as soon as we have it”

 Manawatu-Wanganui Pennant

Today we received this message from David Townend, the Man-Wang Executive Officer:

“Hi All

 With the announcement that the Government is raising the Covid-19 alert to Level 3 today and to Level 4 within 48 Hours, we must now accept that we have to put our Pennant competitions on hold.

 The matches scheduled for the coming weekend and beyond will not be played until the Men’s and Women’s Committees are in a position to make decisions on the future of the competitions.

 As more information comes to hand we will advise Clubs as to what will occur”.

  LATEST CLUB RESULTS

Tuesday 17th March – Irish Day – stableford putting to other hole

1st N Mabey 43 points

2nd T Cuttance 41 points

3rd M Brislane 40 points

4th= P Huddleston, P Bisset and C Daysh

Drawn twos: D Smith, C Daysh and N Mabey

Accuracy – Green hat on #2 – P Bisset

Thursday 19th March – Club Haggle

1st J Delehanty 46 points

2nd P Hewitt 45 points

3rd S Huddleston 43 points

.

 

Saturday 21st March – Qualifying Medal

It was a very disjointed day and I am not sure of the winners, but here goes

1st L Toheriri 61 nett

2nd J Delehanty 67 nett

3rd A Devonshire 68 nett

4th N Pearson 69 nett

Twos: N Pearson (4), R Fryer (14)

Posted: Thursday 16 April 2020