LADIES PENNANTS: Unfortunately, our silver team faltered at the penultimate match of the year, going down 2-4 to Marton at Levin, taking them out of contention for 2019. Next Monday, the team of Pam Bisset, Deb Henricksen, Colleen Daysh and Margaret Brislane will play Levin at Marton in the last match of the season. Good luck ladies.
COMING UP THIS WEEK
FRIDAY 5TH JULY. East of the Ranges
stableford competition, men’s, ladies’, and non-golfer’s sections
$25 per head, includes morning tea, a scrumptious meal served after play and twos.
Don’t miss this one, very good prizes. Morning tea served at 9.30am
SATURDAY 6th JULY. Mid-Winter Christmas Canadian Foursomes –
MEDAL competition Men’s and ladies’ sections only – NO Mixed.
ARRANGE YOUR OWN PARTNER $20 per head, $5 make your own burger for afternoon tea.
SNIPPETS FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING:
- We have the chance to obtain a second hand till which is eftpos-compatible, and enable us to have the ability to run a tab through a “table”. It was decided to go ahead with this purchase.
- We are looking at getting an Eftpos machine to be installed at the front door for payments of green fees, cart hire and caravan fees. It would need to be housed securely in place.
- Bar price increases. It was put to the committee that prices need to be increased. The bar is subsidised largely by the main account. All power, cleaning, redecorating and building maintenance costs are covered by the general account. This would be the first increase for several years, and we are forced to this action due to a lower turnover. Price increases will be set at the next meeting.It should be remembered that “low prices are all good and sustainable when turnover is great”.
Staff keeping up with mowing fairways and rough and the greens are putting OK. There is some evidence of fusarium fungi on 9th, 12th and 17th greens. The greens were sliced a couple of months ago and this will be done again soon, weather permitting
Zones interclub in Manawatu – a response is needed by 7th July if we are to put in a team to compete in the Zones this year. Tony has asked Danny Pierey to co-ordinate the team.
Matches – please check the match play draws and make sure you play your matches on time
Discussion / Planning for the future (next couple of years, not necessarily in this order) – grants being investigated and pursued.
- Course improvements – bunker maintenance #8, fill in, fix drainage, create grass bunker knoll. Remaining bunkers require better quality sand.
- New equipment, for example, fairway mower/surrounds mower
- Clubhouse maintenance – redecorating, painting
- Cart upgrades
- Irrigation system, particularly on #17 and #12, upgrading sprinklers to directional heads
Pahiatua Community Civil Defence Response Group Plan was reviewed at a meeting attended by Gerald Smith on our behalf. There is a local committee who are tasked with organising Pahiatua’s Disaster Preparedness. While we do not have anything in place as far as a response to a civil defence emergency event it was felt that we have resources such as our machinery, clubhouse, kitchen that could be provided in the event of an emergency or disaster in Pahiatua (if there is no power outage). We need a representative from the golf club on this committee or in a liaison capacity. This person would need to be from Pahiatua. Please consider taking on this important role and let Peter or Andrew know if you would like to put your name forward.
Compressor for shoe cleaning – has been fixed by Richard Stewart
Men’s Club Shirts – there are still some shirts available for purchase. Contact Richard if you would like to buy one. Some payments are still outstanding – please pay asap. This can be done via internet banking, please ensure you use your name and “shirt” as code/reference.
Plantation trees – we have two companies looking at the plantation trees with a view to buying export grade trees from us.
Beautification – shrubs of the ladies’ choice are to be planted around the #1 tee sign
Tuesday 11th June – LGU Silver medal, and stableford button
1st M Brislane 72 nett / 37 points
2nd D Small 74 nett
3rd D Henricksen 75 nett
4th S Ashton 77 nett
5th R Squires
6th M Hunt
Twos: D Henricksen (12), M Brislane (18)
Closest to Pin (12): D Henricksen
Winner of LGU Silver Medal and Stableford Button: M Brislane
There was no play on Thursday 27th June
Saturday 29th June – Stableford
1st C Wallace 38 points
2nd P Johns 37 points
3rd M Hemopo 36 points
4th N Squires 35 points
5th J Delehanty 35 points
6th KP Bourke 35 points
Twos: M Hemopo (9)
Closest to the Pin: #9 M Hemopo, #12 N Pearson
Jackpot hole: #14, not struck
Sunday 30th June – Donald & Williams Rd 1 – Mixed Foursomes, nett competition
1st J and B Smith 82 nett
2nd M Galvin and K Ball 83 nett
It was disappointing that there were only 2 pairs playing in the first round of the Donald & Williams foursomes.
There are two more rounds to go – the best 2 of 3 rounds count towards winning the salvers– let’s make the next two a real competition!
Next two rounds are:
Rd 2 – Sunday 14th July
Rd 3 – Sunday 11th August
Posted: Wednesday 3 July 2019