PGC Newsletter 20.05.2020

COVID-19 FROM NZ GOLF – 19.05.2020: Key Update
Restrictions Lifted from Thursday 21 May
The government has updated its advice related to the requirement for hospitality operations. From 8am on 21 May, the requirement for supplying alcohol only to those present to dine will be revoked. 

Alert Level 2 for Golf
At Alert Level Two, playing of golf can be undertaken however there are firm measures in place to ensure the health and safety of all in the golf sector and the community. It will take some time before sporting life in Aotearoa returns to normal and it’s important we all play by the rules to prevent another wave of COVID-19 cases. The Government guidelines for sport at Alert Level 2 can be viewed at 

Exercise and recreation is an important part of maintaining our health and wellbeing however we must continue to be aware the playing of golf presents a risk of transmission.

The most important principle is to ‘play it safe’ and remain physically distant from others. The health, safety and wellbeing of staff, members, golf participants and the wider community is of paramount importance.


It is imperative that ALL visitors to our club sign the Contact Tracing register book that is on the shelf by the green fee sheet. This includes members, green fee players, and those visiting the property. Even if you come out for a hit on your own, you need to sign the book. Thank you.


Fence by neighbours on #17:

As soon as possible, we will be erecting a high fence to protect the neighbour’s property from flying balls. They are making a contribution to the cost. In the meantime, the men’s tee has been moved up by the ladies’ yellow tee.

COVID-19 Safety Plan:

Using a Worksafe template, a Safety Plan has been produced for our club. It is located in the office.

Manawatu-Wanganui Pennants:

All men and women’s pennant competitions have been cancelled for 2020, starting again in 2021.

Marquis Shield:

The remaining rounds are scheduled to be played after 1st August. We will keep you posted on this.

Qualifying (Men):

Championship groups are as set on 21st March when the 1st qualifying round was scheduled. All those who want to play in the champs will be put in the draw.

Strokeplay competitions cancelled for 2020:

Watson Cup, Bourke Cup and Watson Cup have been cancelled for 2020. Matchplay competitions will go ahead and draws will be done soon.

Alert Level 2, the bar:

Using Government, NZ Sport and NZ Golf rules and guidelines, we have set the rules for our members whilst using the bar and lounge area from Thursday 21st May. Distancing, hygiene, contact tracing are at the heart of our rules that are laid out in the body of the email that this newsletter is attached to. Please respect that we are doing the best we can to ensure your safety and the safety of the golfing community.

Freezing Handicaps:

As an interim measure, it has been decided to “freeze’ our handicaps from Tuesday morning until Sunday evening. A handicap chart will be printed and put up in the locker rooms on Tuesday morning and for Strokeplay competition rounds only, you will use the index on that sheet until Sunday afternoons. Cards will be entered on Sunday night or Monday. If you play a match, you need to check your index is correct, especially if you have played elsewhere.

Posted: Wednesday 27 May 2020