SUBSCRIPTIONS are due next Sunday 31st March. If you wish to pay by instalments, please contact Andrew McKnight, 376 7445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks in advance.
The Silver team beat Rangitikei 4½ to 1½. Well done ladies, now leading the Silver division. The District team had a bye.
This round was at home and there are so many people to thank – Jason and Steve presented the course beautifully and the greens were superb. Thanks for coming in early and mowing the greens and cutting new holes. Much appreciated.
We had two very efficient ladies running the administration for the day on behalf of the association – Pam Huddleston and Trish Cuttance, you both did a sterling job, everything went smoothly and your signage was much admired!
Another two ladies bought the raffles for the day and sold plenty of tickets, as well as taking the 2s money – thanks Dawn Smith and Mary McAvoy who also floated in and out of the kitchen as required.
Stunning effort catering by Margaret Drysdale and her team – Margaret Jensen, Margaret Brislane and Rona Squires, you ladies made it look so effortless. What yummy food.
Last but not least – huge thanks to Stu Huddleston who came and manned the bar for us. He is the darling of many of the visiting ladies.
NOTES FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING:
- Gerald Smith is to be the liaison person and organiser of the wood cutting operations.
- Club Captain Mark Field has resigned from the club due to work and study commitments. The committee expressed its regret at Mark’s resignation but wished him all the best for the future. Mark has joined Manawatu Golf Club. Tony Lozell has volunteered to step into the club captain role.
- Course report 19.03.2019 by Jason “5th green is back in play, but will need further work to get it up to standard. Greens have had further treatment for dollar spot and other diseases this month. It’s the most prolific season I’ve come across in terms of repetitiveness of disease. Some courses in Auckland are spraying weekly to keep it in check. Our renovation period i.e. dethatching is getting pushed back due to the district’s water shortage, and our heavy tournament schedule this month will see us pushed into April as our window of opportunity to get this done. This will all be weather permitting, and if I’m confident we will have enough growth time for a full recovery. A fertiliser, chemical, pesticide an additional contracting budget will be presented next month, thanks to our friends at Turf Grass Specialists. This will be an overview of the costs associated with our yearly budget. It is a guideline only at what we think our goals should be but is not set in concrete. This will be passed on to Andrew and we will get together to discuss its viability. That is about it from me this month. Many thanks to the volunteers, and particularly Steve Cullen for his continued support to the club and to me, I couldn’t do it without their help so thanks to you all. Happy golfing and don’t forget to smell the roses along the way.”
- Membership and Communication:
- New members since last meeting: Nicole Coppen, Darryl Sowry, Scott Harrison, Richard Webby (moving up from Nelson in April). Also, juniors Jessica Fleming, George Anderson and Sophia Smith. Dale Percy and Deirdre Power have re-joined.
- Resignations: Matthew Burton, Judy Stewart, Jason Ledbury and Mark Field.
- Leave of absence: Ben and Margaret Read
- Subscriptions are slow coming in.
- Tournaments, Matches:
- Tradies Friday, sponsors Mitre10 Dannevirke, auctions
- Bisset Honda Tournament to be held on Saturday 27th April, 18 holes stableford
- Junior and newbie tournament Sunday 28th April, details TBC with Rhys Watkins
- Eagles Triangular tournament to be held in Pahiatua on Wednesday 1st May
- Bush Classic netted $1250 profit for each club
- Rotary Ambrose - needs more communication with golf club and organisers. On receipt of $600 course fee, we will donate $200 to St John Building fund
- Day and Carthew Cup, Fourball championship and Betty Gunn draws to be done 1st April and play to begin as soon as possible
- Jason’s contract to be extended until 3rd January 2020
- Men’s club shirts to be offered to all men members – Richard Stewart to follow up and order from Robert’s, Palmerston North.
- Cleaner’s contract extended by 2 more hours per month.
REMINDER TO JUNIORS – Rhys Watkins will be over for the last coaching session of the season next Wednesday 3rd April at 4pm
LOST today by a green fee player from Otaki – right black Footjoy golf shoe – if found please put in the men’s room and let Andrew McKnight know (phone or text 027 826 3667). Thanks
MANAWATU WANGANUI WOMEN’S MASTERS TEAM:
Our own Lisa Cotton was named in the team for the upcoming Masters Interprovincial at Nelson Golf Club which will be played from April 5th - 7th. Other team members are Lisa Herbert (Manawatu), Caroline Scott (Wanganui) and Jill Hall (Rangitikei). We wish Lisa and the team all the best for a successful event in Nelson
Our team had a great win at home on Sunday 8/4 in the singles and 5½ /½ in fourball against Mahunga. Well done to the team of – Campbell MacGibbon and Danny Pierey, Noel Coombe and Nigel Pearson (Seniors), Kieran Pierey and Andrew McKnight, Ian Sturgess and Tony Kerins (Intermediates) and Paddy Galvin and Peter Bourke, Richard Stewart and Brett MacDougall (Juniors). Special thank you to Brett who just happened to turn up for golf and was able to fill in for the team at the last minute! Thanks are due also to Mike Galvin, who is always cheerfully on hand for bar duty. It is much appreciated, Mike.
Please welcome Bronwyn Smith, junior Armand van Lelyveld and Richard Webby to our club. We hope you enjoy golfing at Pahiatua. Richard is moving to Pahiatua next week.
TARARUA COLLEGE GOLF:
The Tararua College golf team is made up of 4 of our junior members – Max Ashwell, Jacob Smith, Armand van Lelyveld and Abby Treder. They have their first team outing tomorrow – I will report the outcome next week. Good luck team.
NAMES IN FOR MATCHES – DRAWS TO BE DONE NEXT WEEK:
As reported above, the draws will be done for the Day and Carthew Cups, Championship fourball and Betty Gunn fourball. Please enter your names on the sheets in the men’s room. The ladies’ need to enter for their competitions as well – sheets are in the ladies rooms.
TUESDAY 12TH MARCH – LADIES HOME LINKS COMPETITIONS – LGU GOLD MEDAL
1st K Ball 64 nett
2nd= M Brislane, T Cuttance and P Huddleston 66 nett
5th D Smith 68 nett
6th= C Daysh, D Small and M Hunt 70 nett
Twos: D Smith (9)
Accuracy: M McAvoy (14)
LGU GOLD MEDAL AND STABLEFORD BUTTON: K Ball (64 nett, 45 stableford points)
Home Links Results
Coronation Medal – Best Nett (Silver only)
C Daysh 70 nett
Aotearoa Cup – Best Nett (Silver and Bronze)
K Ball 64 nett
Best Gross – (Silver and Bronze)
C Daysh 82 gross
K Ball 64 nett
THURSDAY 14TH MARCH – STABLEFORD
1st P Johns 42 points
2nd R Jensen 40 points
3rd S Huddleston 38 points
4th B Doherty 37 points
5th G Smith 37 points
SATURDAY 16TH MARCH – AMBROSE
Rotary Ambrose – 16 teams in the tournament where funds were raised for Tararua College 1st XI travel and St John Ambulance Building project.
SUNDAY 17TH MARCH – SHOOTOUT (SPONSORED BY KAY AND GRAHAM BALL)
The shootout was recommenced on Sunday after rain stopped play a couple of weeks ago. Eventual winner was Andrew McKnight who beat Peter Johns on the 18th. Lionel Toheriri, eliminated on the 17th was in 3rd place.
Well done to everyone who participated. Special thanks to the Balls and to Ivan Fraser who was ref for the day.
TUESDAY 19TH MARCH – IRISH DAY
1st A Mason 46 points
2nd= P Huddleston and M Brislane 43 points
4th= S Ashton and M McAvoy 41 points
6th D Small 40 points
7th 39 points
Twos: L Wheeler (2), P McCool
Accuracy: G Sorensen
Shamus Prize: M McAvoy
THURSDAY 21ST MARCH – STABLEFORD
1st G Smith 48 points
2nd I Day 45 points
3rd I Fraser 43 points
4th= M Galvin, P Johns, C Stevens and L Toheriri 42 points
SATURDAY 23RD MARCH – WATSON CUP (PAR) RD 2
1st R Jensen 10 up
2nd R Fryer 8 up
3rd J Delehanty 7 up
4th C Daysh 7 up
Closest to Pin: R Fryer (12), C Daysh (9)
Twos: N Pearson and C Daysh (18). The jackpot was not stuck.
Posted: Friday 10 May 2019